Adding value to your property
Spice up the kitchen
The home is defined by its functional rooms --- places where people spend most of their time, engaged by their surroundings. This is why a top-notch kitchen is widely acknowledged as the primary improvement for boosting the value of a property.
Kitchen upgrades for adding value:
- A layout that maximises space and social interaction
- Modern finishes on surfaces and cabinets
- Large, bright windows that let in plenty of light
- Trendy or classic styles on plumbing, taps and light fittings
- A new stove and spacious, easy-access oven
- Brand new appliances (especially in furnished rentals)
Freshen up the bathroom
No matter how beautiful the home, a withering bathroom can still turn away potential buyers and tenants. Cosmetic refurbishments (like tile paint and a new shower head) may help but fixed features like tiles, pipes and the bathtub, can be a dead giveaway of age and condition.
Bathroom renovations that make a difference:
- Professionally installed on-trend tiles
- Matching sink and bathtub (if applicable) in a modern design
- New vanity with a large mirror
- Spacious shower recess
- Bright windows or a skylight
- Plumbing that's either concealed or stylishly featured
- Coordinated look and feel, with matching taps and fittings
Create entertaining outdoor spaces
Well-defined spaces for entertaining makes the prospect of a new home, and a new lifestyle, all the more real --- especially when buyers and tenants can ride the high, and host a fully featured housewarming as soon as they've unpacked.
Elements of a 'move in'-ready entertainment area:
- Decking and a pergola to designate a 'sitting zone'
- Attractive fencing, or fence coverings
- A landscaped or freshly planted garden
- Social food preparation areas (eg. a fixed barbecue or outdoor kitchen)
- Spaces for play (eg. a new lawn, spa or backyard pool)
Improve the environment
Ambience can have a noticeable impact on our moods and general well-being over time. Although a homebuyer can easily remedy dark and chilly rooms with lamps and furnishings, starting out with bright and comfortable surrounds can help reinforce your original asking price.
Creature comforts worth considering:
- Reverse cycle air-conditioning --- suitable year-round, regardless of climate
- In-floor heating in areas with colder winters
- Paint, flooring and window-coverings selected to maximise room brightness
- Sealed windows to maintain indoor temperature
- Garden plants chosen for minimise or maximise shade
- Heated lamps and towel rack in the bathroom
You may also like
News, tips and offers straight to your inbox.